Sunday, December 1, 2013

Meiko Octard Cover Face Mini Review + Updated Cover Face Swatches!

Click here to know more about Naturactor and MC Collection.




This is only a mini review as I just have a limited experience of the product. 

I borrowed my cousin's Octard for this purpose. She also got it from the Meiko store in Kofu Japan.



I've initially read that it's good for oily skin but please read on to know how my oily skin faired.
Packaging is peachy and girly and when my mom first saw it she said it reminded her of Chin Chun Su or Mena whitening face creams.

Texture is so different from Naturactor and MC Collection. This one is sooo light and slightly Mousy. It is Matte too! I like the feel and finish actually. Even the pot of Octard is lighter than Naturactor though they are both 20g.




It's so smooth and blendable and I found out that it sets when I swatched it on my arm. It was hard to blend out when it has already set and almost didn't budge so I immediately fell in love and thought " this is great for my oily skin!! And will probably last longer! Not to mention that it matte! ♥".


I got even more excited as I've always preferred yellow for my undereye and I didn't feel that the green concealer was doing anything! 



1st Try:  So I tried the yellow and I was wowed as it really brightened my face. The redness and darkness was greatly decreased. It was awesome for my undereye area! I really just used a bit of the product. If you dab at it on the pot lightly, you really get a lot of product already and you could just tap it out on areas that you'sre applying it to. You can also use a thin layer of it on your whole face just to brighten it and just apply a bit more as needed on areas that you are correcting.The only thing is that I think it's not creamy enough for the eye area.
So I went on and tried out the S41 over the yellow as that was what the SA of Meiko did to my cousin when they asked how to use it. I just applied it as thin as I can. Sooo yeahh, S41 is too light for me but WOW! I LOVE the finish!!! I love how matte it is! It's that natural matte look. 

I didn't put any primer and powder over it and after just a few hours, I was an oily shiny mess. And when I touch my nose, the product comes off. Probably my fault too because I double moisturized that time. 

2nd Try: Tried it out again on half of my face the next day. I used primer this time and setting powder. I also used a bit more amount to cover my blemishes. On the other half, I used Naturactor 151 which is more my shade. Surprise! the Octard looked nice even if you apply it a bit thick! It covered come shallow icepick scars nicely.
They both lasted this time! Octard really stayed matte, covered nicer and looked better in pictures too! That's my opinion and experience though.





Random Shiz: I learned from a friend from a forum that Filipino Celebrity Make-up Artist, Bambbi Fuentes use this on her clients.   



Another thing I loved is their shades. Having able to try S41, I have an idea on their color equivalents on Naturactor and MC. Check out the photo below:

This is just an idea okay?




Again, this is just my theory though. I like how they have darker shades as they really come off ghostly when you think you're using the 'right shade'. I personally pick shades that look darker for me because those turn out to be just right. I like 152 in MC collection better because I don't look like I have any makeup on and I have even skintone. I use my arm as my basis for this btw. 

I want to look as natural as I can and for me, the purpose of using foundation and concealer is not to draw attention on your blemishes and zits. You do the opposite when you use a lighter shade on your face. Plus it's a dead giveaway that you have makeup on or you have a lighter face than the rest of your body. Both are not flattering IMO.  ♥





Meiko Cover Face: Naturactor, Octard and MC Collection







 You know the drill... Click to enlage and open in new tab for a larger image. ♥



♥♥♥

19 comments:

  1. Hi! I loved your review. Was thinking of buying either Octard or Naturactor but I couldn't decide which one. I've always had a hard time buying foundations. Btw, may I know what shade you are in MAC? And how is this best applied for the most natural finish? A sponge? A brush? Oh, and which body part do you compare with to get the perfect foundation shade match? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Aoki! I'm glad you liked it. ^_^

      Actually, I'm not sure what my mac shade is but I think I'm around nc20-30. I tried applying naturactor with sponge and also by buffing it with brush but really, the best finish I got is by using my fingers. And I really think it's wasteful to use sponge or brush anyways. Even if I have dry spots or even peeling skin and pimples the coverage is smooth and flawless if I pat or dab it. I try to apply it thin but it's ok to apply more on parts that need more coverage. I set it with a large powder puff (using rice powder) and pressing it carefully. This way it's more flawless and longer lasting.

      It's best to use the back of you hand or your arm (not the inner skin) to find your shade. Some people have lighter/darker or more pinkish face than the rest of their body and if you use that as the basis, you won't have an even/accurate skin-tone with the rest of your body. It's still up to you though. Some people prefer lighter shades on their face. If that's the case, you can use a bronzer to contour and make it look natural, not ghostly. I just really prefer natural looking makeup. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your quick response :))

    Ohh I think we have almost the same skin tone since I jump between NC25-NC30 too. I can use yours as reference then. :)

    You've tried both Octard and Naturactor, which one do you like better? I've read reviews on both but I'm still torn on which one to get. As I don't wear heavy makeup, I just wear some creme blush and tinted lip balm on most days, I really need a good base to cover up my imperfections. I want something that would last a while even without a primer since primers make me feel heavy eventhough I have combination skin. Also, may I know what brand of rice powder you're using?

    Ah I noticed that too. My neck is a shade darker than my face and it bothers me a lot. Yesyes to natural looking makeup. And amazing eyebrows! Lol. Btw, thanks for being so patient and so helpful. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Aoki. :)

      If you good skin with very little imperfections and you want something lighter on the face, try Octard since it's almost like a mousse. Just a tad bit lighter on the feel than Naturactor. It's also very buildable and matte. The thing is that the shade of Octard I used was so light on me. It actually looks like it would match my skin on the pot but when applied I looked like a ghost. Maybe I'd try the two darkest shades (S51 and S52) plus the yellow concealer (S71- will be a great highlighter too) if I'll buy it in the future. I found the green and yellow concealers handy because you can't fully cover the imperfection with just the skintone shade even if you apply it super thick (which is bad).

      Though if you want something that would last without primer and if you have an oily skin, that would have to be naturactor. It lasts better than octard( in my short experience of trying it) without primer. Naturactor is also lighter that other cream foundations so it's also good.

      I have a tough time deciding which suites me best of the two myself since they have their pros and cons.

      The rice powder I use is just the tiny buds rice baby powder. You can get it at Rustan's department store for (if I remember correctly) 99 pesos. It's pure rice powder (just scented) for babies. It's a real steal for me! It really really lasts and my face is less oily. When I get oily using this powder over naturactor, it really looks natural and makes the make-up look like skin! ♥

      Again, no prob! I like sharing my knowledge on kikay stuff. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Hi! I want to try these babies, but a bit confused between Octard and MC. If you can help me please. I want to have a matte/glowing effect. I am 140 on Naturactor, what is best for me on MC shade? TIA! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Blaise Roa!

      It really depends on your skin type too. If you really want matte and you're not oily, It's definitely Octard. You can add some glow with a finishing spray or a bit of pearly highlights on some areas. I don't really recommend this if you're oily. Though it might be a great undereye concealer.

      Meanwhile, if you're combination oily or just oily, I recommend MC Collection. It's a bit matte too but with a bit of glow that really looks like skin even with no powder on top. I'm actually preferring it's coverage than Naturactor now. After juggling the use of the two, I found MC covers my blemishes better even on it's own and after a few hours. You can use a mattifying powder or non pearly mineral makeup on top if you need it to last longer. When done right, it can really last for 8 or more hours! Don't worry as it will still be glowy after an hour or two. ;)

      As for your shade on MC, I think Naturactor and MC Collection numbering and shade is the same. It's probably 140 too. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks! :) I've read that you are between NC20-30 on MAC, what shade are you using on MC and Naturactor? I am NC 25 I guess. TIA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite is 152 of MC. It really is the most natural looking one on me even though my skin got lighter. I use it when I'm in a hurry or don't want to look overdone. No one could tell that I have make-up on when I use that. ;)

      But when I have time I use a combination of 152 in MC and 151 of Naturactor to brighten up my face a bit. I like 151 in Naturactor the best because it's the most yellow of all the shades. Yellow shades are good for brightening up your face.

      When I want some definition I also use the darkest shade in MC which is 150 to contour my cheeks and nose. It also is a good eyeshadow base if you're using dark colors on your lid or just brown shades.

      Delete
    2. hello.. thanks for ur info....i think ill use the same colour like u.

      Delete
    3. hello.. thanks for ur info....i think ill use the same colour like u.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you:) do you know where can I get it?

      Delete
    2. I know a trusted seller that gets her naturactor from Japan. What shade are you looking for?

      Delete
    3. Hi, I'm looking for s52/51 and 141 each two. Thank you very much. Or could you tell me how can I contact her.

      Delete
    4. Not sure if she has Octard but here's her number: 0906 2436043

      Delete
  6. Does the rice powder give a white cast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. It's translucent when applied to the skin. ;)

      Delete